Monday, December 1, 2014

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Well, hello! How was your Thanksgiving? This year my family did things a little different. For the past 6 years, K and I hosted thanksgiving. But this year has been busy...stressful and painful. So we asked the family to go to Golden Coral for lunch. And it was good and relaxed. K and I enjoyed it. After, we did our annual black Friday shopping...started at 6 and ended at 1 am! Yes...I did say we. K actually started the tradition when we were dating; he would shop for me. When we got married, i joined him. We get all our nieces and nephews Christmas presents and we love it. It's fun. I am very blessed that he doesn't mind doing this. It's a tradition we love together.
So let's talk about respect. K and I were at a friend's get together one day and the husbands were talking in one area and the wives in another. It wasn't long before one friend started talking about her husband, saying very belittling and degrading comments about things he didn't do. It was a domino effect before the wives joined in and started saying all the things their husbands didn't do. We can show our husbands respect in many ways and this my readers, is not one of them.
Our husbands (significant others) need our respect. It is one of their biggest needs as a man. They need to trust that when we are in the company of our friends and family that we will talk lovingly and respectfully about them. Even at times when you maybe upset. That brings a point about family...I think it is important to have a family member or friend you can go to for advice about your relationship if there is something you can't handle together. Or someone you can talk to that is objective to your love life. We all need someone we can trust to help us. Of course, the best person for this is Jesus. But, be careful how you "vent" about your loved one to family. They are the outsider and most of the time family won't forget what they did.

We can also show respect to our husbands by how we talk to them. Once when I was mad at K, I said something to him that was very mean. I can't remember now what it was...but I have never forgotten the look on his face. It was full of defeat and hurt. It hurt me that I put that look and I never wanted to do that again. I realized how much my words can tear him down and I don't want to do that. He deserves better from me. Now I know there are situations out there that you may say, but you don't know how much my husband disrespects me...how can I show him respect? I pray for you out there that are struggling. My advice is to try. Each day try doing something nice and tell him something nice. Keep doing this everyday. The next time you are around someone bashing their husband, don't join in. It's not an overnight fix, but I will pray that a change of attitude will help.
Lastly...praise your husband or loved one. Let them know how much you appreciate all they do. Our very important job as their wives is to build their ego. This is huge, my friends. Our husbands need to hear how proud we are of them and how much we appreciate what they do for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment