Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Will You Choose?

After reading a post by Sheila Wray Gregoire about daddy issues and  a conversation I had this morning...this post sparked in my head and I prayed about it. My first post explained why I wanted to do this blog, but it went deeper than that and now I feel it's a good time to elaborate on it.

Marriage wasn't an easy topic for me. My parents divorced when I was 2 and both remarried. I also saw divorce in other areas of the family and wondered if it was going to be possible for me to have a happy marriage. I even went through a brief period before K and I got married where I was scared to get married. I didn't want to fall into another failed marriage listed in my family. I wondered if I could really do this?? 

I had one serious boyfriend before K and I thought I was in love with him. But, I knew in my heart he wasn't the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. After we broke up, I had in my mind what kind of man I wanted to date. God blessed me with K even when I wasn't looking. When the fear crept up about marriage, I prayed about it and decided I was going to have a good marriage. That K and I would have not just a good marriage, but a great one. Just because I had seen a lot of divorce and failed marriages didn't mean I had to fall into the same category. In fact, I was going to make sure we didn't. I was determined my relationship was going to be different. 

Now K comes from the opposite side of the spectrum. His parents have been married for 48 years and have a great marriage. He has family members who just celebrated 60 years of marriage!! And they couldn't be cuter! 

So you maybe wondering why I am posting all of this to you? Well, I want you to know that I have a happy marriage because I choose to. And some of you maybe thinking several things: it's easy for you to say you choose a happy marriage, you already have one or you don't know what I am going through and what I have to put up with. And you're half right. I have been through a lot to know that marriage isn't easy and some situations are really hard. And I don't know what you are going through. But I just want you to know that I am praying for you and a happy marriage is possible if you choose to make it that way. It doesn't have to be miserable.

One thing K and I live by is there is no plan B. We are going to work at it no matter what we go through in this life. God put us together for a reason and we will see it through together. So while we are at it, we are going to have fun and laugh a lot. (That's a biggie.) God has helped me so much and helped me see that a happy marriage is possible. I have given many many tips in the past year on what makes K and I happy together and I plan to give plenty more. It all comes around to choices. We can choose to be happy and have a happy marriage or we can choose to be miserable. What will you choose?




Until next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment