Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Good Clean Romance: A Soldier's Promise by Laura Scott

It's getting kind of ridiculous how many books I am reading right now. Not that I am complaining, it's just I have to be realistic to how many I can really read at one time. I read one fiction book, one marriage book, one non-fiction Christian book, and a regular non fiction. There are so many choices and such little time that I read one chapter of each. And now I also read on the treadmill since there is the nifty Kindle app that connects with my kindle so I can read on my phone while I am walking. Ah, technology these days.

While walking on the treadmill I discovered this free ebook:


I don't normally read books out of sequence...but I didn't realize that this is a part of a series until halfway through it. Even though this was book two, I didn't feel like I was missing anything from the first. 

I am continuing my quest to find good, clean romances and this one definitely met my criteria. This book finds ER nurse Julie taking care of a former soldier and his daughter after they are brought in from a terrible accident. When she learns they don't have anywhere to go, she fights her instincts to stay out of it and takes Derek and his daughter, Lexi, in while he recovers from his injuries. Julie has been burned before but her good heart and Christian virtues overrule her head. Little does she know, Derek has secrets of his own that he is hiding from Julie.

I really enjoyed this book. The author's writing style hooked me from the beginning and it made walking on the treadmill pass by very quickly. I liked the main characters, Julie and Derek, and found myself really rooting for Derek despite his secrets. The author is great at description, but sometimes I found her details to be monotonous and a bit boring. But, the story and plot kept me hooked enough not to stay bored for long. As for being clean, it didn't have any foul language or intimate scenes that had too much detail. 

I loved the message of this book: to trust God to direct your path and that no matter what you have done, He loves you and has not forgotten you. There was also a theme of accepting children for who they are, and not make them into something you want them to be, which I found was subtle but effective. I would definitely suggest this book to other romance readers out there (especially if you are looking for something clean and mysterious.)

What are you reading right now?

Until next time, have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment