Friday, October 23, 2015

Not your typical love story...

I've mentioned to you that I am an avid reader. I was so skeptical of getting a kindle, but I have to say it has been one of my favorite purchases ever. I LOVE my kindle. One of the perks of a kindle is free books. I have been stocking up on free books lately and since I recently finished a children's book series, I dove into one of the free books last week.

One of my challenges to myself for this blog was to find good marriage books and I increased that challenge to good romances. So this is what I started with:


The book opens introducing us to a man who is unhappy with his life. During a trip to his hometown, the main character runs into an old love. We learn that this was "the one". Flashback to the 1970's when times were different and Shawn literally falls for the girl next door: Dawn Adele. At first what seems to be a brother/sister relationship blossoms into young love. Because of their age difference, (Shawn was 4 years older) her parents tried to keep a tight leash on the growing relationship. But choices were made, consequences happened and because of huge hurdles, Shawn and Dawn spend 31 years apart before they find each other again. 

I will say that I finished this book in one sitting. That normally only happens if a book is that good. The funny thing was it was pretty good, but not great. I found his writing style a bit lacking in detail and very matter-of-fact. However, he was a good storyteller. I had to remind myself that this was a true love story. That it really happened. I really felt for him during some rough times he experienced and hoped he could find happiness. I did find it hard to connect with Dawn. She also wrote a book and tells this story from her point of view and I think I may read it. I would like to learn what she was going through during their separation.

I would recommend this love story. While reading it I couldn't help but reflect on K and I's past and the trials we have overcome together and how far we have come. He also had strict parents since he was an only child and I was his first girlfriend. His mom had him late in life and he was her everything. At the time, I didn't see how she was trying to protect him. All I knew was that I wanted to be with him and she was a barrier. But for 6 years, I was determined to stick through the strict rules. Of course, we didn't always follow the rules.

We were also friends first before we started dating. K has always been my best friend. I can tell him anything. When his mom and dad would go to car shows (they used to own an old 1940's Ford they would enter into shows), we would stay on the phone for hours talking about nothing and everything. 

I thank God that we persevered and stayed together during the rough times while we were dating. But we didn't face consequences like Shawn and Dawn did. This book even sparked some good conversations about the past that we had never addressed before. And I can say that my mother-in-law and I now have a good relationship. She now knows that I love her son with everything I have and I take good care of him. We have overcome a lot as a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.

I would encourage you to take this trip down memory lane with Shawn. It's a very interesting read. It wasn't great, but he will wrap you into their story and you will definitely want to know the outcome. I would give it 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment