Monday, January 26, 2015

Couples of the Bible-Adam and Eve Part 1

I am very excited to share a bible study I have developed and will be doing for the next several Mondays with you. I am going to study iconic and lesser known couples of the bible, what they went through, how God was involved in their lives, their faith (or in many occasions lack there of), their culture, and what God was trying to accomplish with this couple.

For our first couple, I battled with studying Adam and Eve because they are so well known. But then after talking to my grandma (my bible guru), I thought, they were the FIRST couple. The first married couple that God ever created...how much more important could you get than that?  I am going to break this particular couple into two parts...one focusing on the perfect marriage and the second part focusing on disobeying God. If you would like to follow in your bible, I will be studying Genesis Chapter 2:1-25.

In Genesis Chapter 2, after God created the Earth, he noticed it needed to be taken care of. So he created man-Adam. He was to watch over the Garden of Eden, and gave Adam one command.  He could have any fruit he wanted, but none from the tree of knowledge. This was a test of obedience, which reminds us that God is always testing our character.
 But, Adam became lonely and after God gave him all the creatures to name God realized he needed something else.

Then the Lord God said, It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him." Genesis 2:18 (NLT)

In this verse, we see how God is concerned for Adam's loneliness. He wants men to have a companion, a helper, an equal. Man is incomplete without someone to make him whole.

The Lord created her out of Adam's ribs and this pleased Adam greatly.  Can you imagine how happy he was?  He says in verse 23,

This one is bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh. She will be called woman because she was taken from man. (NLT)

Verse 24 is often quoted and I wanted to really dissect into what it means, because it means a lot to me.  It holds God's design for marriage.  


The words "one flesh" describe God's plan for what marriage is intended to be. There are several meanings God had in that one phrase:

1) United meant that divorce was not an option-it was permanent
2) The loyalty changes from parents to spouse
3) In Ephesians 5:28-31, this perfect marriage represents Christ's relationship with the church
"As the scriptures say, "a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one" This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one."

Let's talk about one other meaning God intended for "one flesh" which also brings me to the term "naked" in verse 25. Yep...I am going to talk about sex. (gasp!!) God never intended for sex to be viewed the way it is today and I will devote several posts on just that topic, but let's focus on the verse at hand. When God said, "one flesh" he also meant sexual completeness. Husbands and wives are to enjoy each other physically. Adam and Eve were not ashamed or embarrassed by each other's bodies. This really spoke to me because I battle with my image on a daily basis, as I know many women do. We are to love our spouses and who they are and love how they look and vice versa. (that's some of the many reasons we got married in the first place, right??). Can you imagine how amazing it must have felt to Adam and Eve not to have to worry about what they looked like to each other (also can I just say it must have been nice not to have to worry about lighting, how you look from a certain angle, if they see certain things)...they just enjoyed each other? I think this mentality as a married couple would really help some of us get over fear, embarrassment, etc. I think there are several things we can learn from Adam and Eve as the first perfect couple. 

I hope you have enjoyed this bible study as much as I have!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment