Thursday, January 15, 2015

Book review: The Good Wife's Guide


I read about Darlene Schacht when I read Candace Cameron Bure's book, Reshaping it all. I have to say first before I get into this book...I love Candace Cameron Bure. I have looked up to her since I watched her on Full House, and she is still a role model to me, even more so as a Christian wife. (I plan to post a review of her book Balancing it All on here even though I read the book last year. It was that good).

So back to Darlene Schacht. This was a great book. I love her principles. Her goal is for us as wives and mothers to embrace our roles as our husband's help meets. She is a firm believer of the Bible's teaching in Ephesians 5.


It is such a lost belief, but when we follow the Bible's teachings and understand that our husbands are to be the head of the house and we are to support them, we have a lot happier marriages. She understands there are a lot of people who think of her as old fashioned, but she is ok with that.

"I'll start by saying this; letting him have the final say doesn't mean that you can't have a discussion and share your ideas. A good marriage should have channels of communication by which husbands and wives both offer ideas and determine solutions...but at the end of the day he gets the executive vote." (Location 348 Kindle)

One thing that really spoke to me was how she makes sure her hubby feels welcomed when he gets home. I have struggled in the past with this. I am really trying to work to make this better. I have a bad habit when K would get home, I would be on my tablet, phone, computer, or cooking or watching T.V. I even remember once when he got home from work I was watching an episode of a show (on Netflix!!) and even after he was home and unloading his stuff, I kept watching. She brought to light how ridiculous that was. He worked all day, and all I could do was watch T.V.? Didn't he deserve more than that?? After a long day, he deserves all my attention and affection. He should feel welcomed and loved.

"Of equal importance to me, however, is the welcome I offer my husband each day. From the moment he steps through the door, I want our house to feel like a home. I want life inside that door to be a haven of comfort and rest" (Location 577 Kindle)

She goes on to list ways she makes her house welcoming to him like having supper prepared, greeting him at the door, and "sprucing up" a little before he gets home. This spoke volumes to me. My husband works long hours. Coming home to a warm and inviting home and a welcoming wife is one of my top priorities. And I have a bad habit of looking pretty yucky. I don't think we have to wear dresses or anything...but I think dabbing on a little mascara and brushing my hair and teeth should do the trick. 

Darlene Schacht's whole goal with this book is for us as housewives and mothers to embrace our roles as the help meet and do it with joy. One thing I loved that she said is if you are having a tough time with that or feeling lazy, do it for the Lord. 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. ~ Colossians 3:23-24, NIV

She also tackles subjects like handling conflict, ways to show him respect, and in her second part of the book she gives suggestions for organizing your house and doable cleaning schedules. 

I really enjoyed this book. There were a few topics I wish she would have gone a little more in depth and at times I felt it was a little scattered, but I really liked her attitude and the way she wasn't afraid of expressing her beliefs. I give it 4 stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment