Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The best marriage advice comes from...

I had every intention to deliver the last part of my money series last week...even started a draft and prayed about where to go with it...and I became stuck. So after reading a great blog post on bible verses for marriage...I decided I would post my favorite and go to bible verses for marriage.

In the post I read, she asked the question what is marriage to you? How do I view marriage? While K and I were dating, a coworker at the grocery store I was working at the time got into a discussion with me about marriage. He asked me why in the world would I want to get married? My response: because I loved K and I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Why wouldn't I want to get married? The world's view of marriage is fairy tales or misery. What I have learned so far is that marriage is hard work. I get up each day and thank God for blessing me with a wonderful man that knows how to love me, but also how to treat me. He appreciates me. But, our marriage consists of three people: God, K, and I. I view marriage as a partnership between all three of us. I have an amazing marriage because we trust God. So here are the verses that have meant the most to me in our marriage...

1) 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NLT)) Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand it's own way. It is not irritable, it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

K and I had this verse read at our wedding and is one of my favorite bible verses. This paints a beautiful picture of how love should be between two people who spend their lives together. We choose to love our spouses for the rest of our lives...why not make it as beautiful as the bible teaches?

2) Ephesians 5: 22-23 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as also Christ is the head of the Church; and He is the Savior of the body. (NKJV) 

As I continue my walk with the Lord and I learn more and more about how to be a good wife, I have learned how important this verse is. In my last post I talked about how important it is for the man to be the provider and touched on wives submitting to their husbands. As hard as this is...it is so important to follow this advice. It does not mean we are weak or that we are not equals. Marriage takes teamwork, but we are to submit to our husbands and not withhold from him. 

3)Proverbs 19:22 The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord.

In the simplest terms...marriage is a gift from God. The more we view marriage as a gift and the fact that God has blessed us with our spouse, the more we see them as a gift.

4) Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. 

I think this verse is so important for a couple. Memorize it. When you are fighting, repeat this verse in your head. It may not always work, but it helps me to stop from saying something I might regret.

5) Proverbs 31: 10-13: Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life. (NKJV)

I think this verse speaks for itself on the beautiful picture of how a wife should be. There has only been one perfect person, Jesus, and we are not perfect. But these are great guidelines of how to achieve an amazing marriage. The bible is full of great advice for married couples :)

No comments:

Post a Comment